This hilly, mostly-gravel route will have you convinced you’re riding in southern California as you pedal past all the major wineries along the Naramata Bench. A challenging gravel climb and descent to Chute Lake is the highlight!
Points of Interest
- Campbell Mountain @ 0km & 78km
- Three Blind Mice @ 12km
- Naramata Creek Falls @ 12 67km
- Little Tunnel @ 16km
- Adra Tunnel @ 29km
- Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park @ 37km to 53km
- Chute Lake @ 40km
- Wharf Park @ 64km
- Manitou Park @ 65km
- Legend Distilling @ 68km
- Maple Leaf Spirits @ 74km
- Bad Tattoo Brewery @ 81km
- Cannery Brewing @ 81km
- A complete list of Wineries through Naramata and Penticton @ 0km - 81km
Surfaces & Traffic
~60% gravel with light to moderate traffic, this route is busiest in the summer months for pedestrian traffic on the KVR and for vehicle traffic along Naramata Road. Gravel on the the KVR varies in quality; hard-packed & fast from Penticton to Little Tunnel, then loose and rocky from Little Tunnel to Chute Lake. The gravel surface on Chute Lake Road is rough with potholes, large rocks, and a washboard surface throughout. This route is best ridden on gravel tires (≥32mm).
- Prague Cafe @ 0km
- Chute Lake Lodge @ 40km
- Naramata Inn @ 65km
- Naramata General Store @ 65km
- Grape Leaf Cafe @ 65km - OKRoutes 100% Legit Badge of Sandwich Honour
- Real Things Pizza @ 66km
- Naramata Pub @ 66km
- KVR - Penticton to Chute Lake is a grind up a 2% gradient for nearly 40km of gravel. 1½ hours is a fast time.
- Chute Lake Descent is a 10½km @ -6% gravel descent from Chute Lake to Naramata Road, turning to pavement for the last few 3km of the segment
- Chute Lake Climb If you choose to do this route in reverse, this is the climbing segment to Chute Lake. Under 1 hour is respectable, sub 50 minutes is fast. This segment has a similar feel to the Oyama Lake Road Climb to Oyama Eco Lodge in OKRoute #7.
- Indian Rock to Chute Lake is an additional (paved) segment after/before Chute Lake Road, 3.2km @ 6%. Sub-10 minutes is fast, 8 minutes is classy.
- Fire Station to Reservoir Road is an awesome, rolling TT segment along the Naramata Bench. 9.4km, gains 50m over its course.
Complete the route in reverse for a more challenging climb up Chute Lake Road, then relax as you cruise back into Penticton down a -2% gradient on hard-packed gravel.
Legs need more climbing? At the end of the route head up Carmi Ave to Beaverdell Road, completing the 8km @ 8% Looking for Moose segment.
And please be sure to…