A hilly 100km route from Saint Annes Road, climbing back roads to Armstrong, then rollling on Salmon River Road past beautiful corn fields to Yankee Flats. Ride the hilly Yankee Flats Loop, head back to Armstrong on Salmon River Road, and return to the starting point while riding along Otter Lake.
Points of Interest
- O’Keefe Ranch @ 0km
- Spallumcheen Golf Club @ 0km
- Farmstrong Cider Company @ 25km
- Caravan Farm Theater @ 28km
- Ovino Winery @ 45km
Surfaces & Traffic
Good pavement and narrow roads for the majority of this route, all with light traffic. Salmon River Road has excellent pavement with slightly wider shoulders. Yankee flats has some rough sections of pavement, but very little traffic. Busiest areas for traffic are those closest to Armstrong.
Armstrong is the main refuelling location on this route @ 22km & 80km. There are numerous service stations and stores in addition to those listed below:
There is a burger restaurant, a store, and a gas station 1-2km north from the northernmost end of the Yankee Flats loop in Silver Creek. This oasis is a life saver on a hot summer day.
- Saint Annes Climb 2.7km @ 4.7% right at the beginning of the route!
- Otter Lake to Armstrong 4.2km fast and mostly flat segment into Armstrong.
- Yankee Doodle Dandy 26km hilly loop of Yankee Flats - a detour to Silver Creek to refuel will interrupt this segment.
- Bridge to Summit 6.6km 1.6% grind of a segment leaving Yankee Flats from Glenemma on Heywood and Salmon River Road. This segment incorporates this short and twisty climb segment.
- Vernon TT Course flat segment along Otter Lake for 6½km to finish the ride.
Take Otter Lake Road directly to Armstrong to avoid the St. Annes Road climb.
If you are unable or unwilling to do Yankee Flats Loop at the northern most point of the ride, head south at the intersection in Glenemma to join Highway 97 back towards Vernon.
Depart & return on Old Kamloops Road (west side of Swan Lake), or along Pleasant Valley Road (east side of Swan Lake) through downtown Vernon if you’re looking for a longer ride; Old Kamloops Road has high traffic, narrow shoulders, and poor pavement.
If you’re looking for a longer extension start further south in Lake County and head north on either the #9 Kettle Valley Rail Trail, or along Carrs Landing Road to Commonage Road up and over #3 Predator Ridge into Vernon.
And please be sure to…