This route starts and finishes at Kal Beach, at the north end of Kalamalka Lake. The ride heads east to Lumby, climbing gradually and featuring one short gravel section before reaching Lumby. Once at Lumby, the route continues east to Shuswap Falls, back into Lumby, and finally returning to Vernon on paved, mostly flat roads.
Points of Interest
- Kal Beach @ 0km
- Coldstream Creek Orchards @ 4km
- Coldstream Ranch @ 7km
- Lumby / Kraft Hockeyville @ 29km
- Shuswap Falls @ 44km
- Middleton Mountain @ 85km
Surfaces & Traffic
The surface for this ride is 95% pavement and smooth. There are wide shoulders only Highway 6 where there is moderate traffic. The rest of the route is on narrow roads that have light traffic. There is one short gravel section on Whitevale Road, from kilometer 18 - 22 (hard-packed and passable on 25mm tires).
Kal Beach / Coldstream @ 0km:
Lumby @ 28½km:
Lavington @ 69km:
- Coldstream Creek Road Eastbound is a fast 2.2km flat segment with two sharp corners & a quick climb.
- Rawlings Lake Climb is a short 0.7km 4.7% climb just off Highway 6 after Lumby.
- Rawlings Road to the Bridge is a fast, slightly downhill 4.4km segment back into Lumby.
- Mable Lake Road Climb is a 1.9km 4.6% climb that you might not even notice if the wind is at your back! You’ll hit this just before returning to Lumby.
- Buchanan TT West is a great TT segment 7.8km in length and -0.3% gradient. It features a short downhill and climb near the end of the segment.
Staying on Highway 6 all the way from the end of Kalamalka Road to Lumby, and then back on Highway 6 from Lumby to Vernon, will greatly increase the ride speed and make this ride flatter.
And please be sure to…