This OKRoute is brought to you by popular demand AKA peer pressure, not its quality. This is a difficult route due to its length and the potential for high temperatures & strong winds. There are way hillier, way more epic, way more OKRoutes to employ as a way to avoid your family, return home beyond-bonked, moaning on the couch while chocolate milk drips down your shirt & salt-caked face; routes that don’t have you riding on the highway.
THAT SAID, with a couple hundred bucks to pay for lane closures, food stations, and a peloton to draft, this fondo is a wonderful experience! Riding it solo or with a small group is some serious type-2 fun. Snickers mandatory.
Fast times for the whole route are around 4 hours—that’s a CAT 1/2 race pace for the entire duration, 3½-4W/kg average throughout. Leisurely riders can expect to complete this in 6+ hours. Riding solo, 5-6 hours is quite respectable.
Show up, have the GPX on your head unit, poach the aid stations, get that Gatorade!
Surfaces & Traffic
100% pavement with moderate-to-heavy traffic during the summer months. During the fondo event, one northbound and southbound lane of the four-lane divided highway is closed to vehicle traffic, but you’ll be on the shoulder if you ride this route any other time.
To avoid as much traffic as possible and still brag to your smooth-legged friends, we recommend riding this route in April, October, or even March if the weather permits.
Watch a complete run-down of this route produce by the Merckx crew.
- Prague Cafe @ 0km
- Falls Market @ 68km
- KJ Coffee Bar @ 68km
- Ticklerberry’s @ 69km
- Inkameep Food & Fuel @ 87km
- Orchard Hill Estate Cidery & Fruit Stand @ 101km
- El Sabor De Marina @ 110km
- Pappa’s Firehall Bistro @ 111km
- Kaleden Petro Canada @ 142km
- Jane’s Farmhouse @ 142km
- PGAMO 2018 Complete fondo segment, 159km
- Summerland Out & Back Penticton to Summerland; first leg of this fondo, 35km.
- Penticton to OK Falls Second leg of the fondo, 21km.
- Okanagan Falls to Fairview Golf Course Third leg of this fondo, 45km.
- Fairview Golf Course to Finish Final leg of this fondo, 44km.
Points of Interest
- Campbell Mountain @ 0km
- Bad Tattoo Brewery @ 0km
- Cannery Brewing @ 0km
- A complete list of Wineries through Naramata and Penticton @ 0km & 158km
- Mount Nkwala @ 5km
- Sun-Oka Beach Provincial Park @ 10km & 29km
- Summerland @ 18km
- Okanagan Falls @ 68km
- Vaseux Lake @ 75km
- Oliver @ 88km
- Osoyoos @ 100km
- Fairview Mountain Golf Club @ 111km
- St. Andrews by the Lake @ 135km
- Kaleden @ 142km
- Skaha Lake @ 55km @ 144km
And please be sure to…