A hilly 100km route from Saint Annes Rd, climbing back roads to Armstrong, then rollling on Salmon River Rd past beautiful corn fields to Yankee Flats. Ride the hilly Yankee Flats Loop, head back to Armstrong on Salmon River Rd, and return to the starting point while riding along Otter Lake.
Surfaces & Traffic
Good pavement and narrow roads for the majority of this route, all with light traffic. Salmon River Rd has excellent pavement with slightly wider shoulders. Yankee flats has some rough sections of pavement, but very little traffic. Busiest areas for traffic are those closest to Armstrong.
Armstrong is the main refuelling location on this route @ 22km & 80km. There are numerous service stations and stores in addition to those listed below:
There is a burger restaurant, a store, and a gas station 1-2km north from the northernmost end of the Yankee Flats loop in Silver Creek. This oasis is a life saver on a hot summer day.
- Saint Annes Climb 2.7km @ 4.7% right at the beginning of the route!
- Otter Lake to Armstrong 4.2km fast and mostly flat segment into Armstrong.
- Yankee Doodle Dandy 26km hilly loop of Yankee Flats - a detour to Silver Creek to refuel will interrupt this segment.
- Bridge to Summit 6.6km 1.6% grind of a segment leaving Yankee Flats from Glenemma on Heywood and Salmon River Rd. This segment incorporates this short and twisty climb segment.
- Vernon TT Course flat segment along Otter Lake for 6.5km to finish the ride.
Points of Attraction
- O’Keefe Ranch @ 0km
- Spallumcheen Golf Club @ 0km
- Farmstrong Cider Company @ 25km
- Caravan Farm Theater @ 28km
- Ovino Winery @ 45km
To avoid St. Annes Rd climb take Otter Lake Rd directly to Armstrong.
If unable or unwilling to do Yankee Flats Loop at the northern most point of the ride, head south at the intersection in Glenemma to join Highway 97 back towards Vernon.
Options to Extend
Start in downtown Vernon, departing/returning on Old Kamloops Rd (West side of Swan Lake), or along Pleasant Valley Rd (East side of Swan Lake). Old Kamloops Rd has high traffic, narrow shoulders, and poor pavement.
And please be sure to…